Daily photographs by HANS VON RITTERN, with humorous, artistic and social commentary on life in the big city.

From the gallery: WORLD TRADE CENTER 1973

WORLD TRADE CENTER 1973: It is October 1973. The World Trade Center was the new sensation of New York City having just been completed in April of that year. New Yorkers were astounded at how majestic they were, at how new an idea it was – twin towers.
People were buzzing where you could go to get an unusual view of these new icons. My best friend Tony Indelicato and I decided to go to  New Jersey and view them from there. I don’t recall where we were, but when we reached this desolate spot, we loved the contrast.
(Those are my skin tight seude Sasson jeans, my in vogue authentic bomber jacket and big hair – good times.)

10 responses

1. Tony

It is in New Jersey~ I believe near Secaucus, where there was a Star Trek exhibit~ (1980-81)

September 27, 2012 at 8:03 am

2. Great photo. A study in contrasts. Have you thought of marketing it? You don’t see many coffee mugs anymore with a picture of the Twin Towers (except in thrift shops), and your photo is unique. I’ve never seen the Twin Towers from that angle. I saw the towers about three weeks before 9/11 on a visit to NYC. I was waiting to catch a ferry to Ellis Island, but we couldn’t board the boat. A Frenchman, known for wild parachuting stunts, had caught his parachute on the Statue of Liberty. News helicopters were on the scene. It was quite a while before things settled down. I remember seeing the Twin Towers behind me and thinking that those who worked in the towers had a birdseye view of the shenanigans taking place at the Statue of Libery.

October 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm

• Sheryl! Thank you so much for your kind words and thank you for sharing your story with me. One day when I have the time, I will see what I can do with my old photos. I actually have very unusual ones of the WTC from the rotting piers of Brooklyn Heights and wild sunflowers used to grow there! Bizare contrast, but they are on film, so the hunt will take a few years . . . I am so happy you are enjoying my blog, I love yours ! Hans.

October 20, 2012 at 10:26 pm

3. emma

awesome RIP =(

January 5, 2014 at 9:44 pm

4. Michael

This photo was made 4 years before I was born, but its colors brings my remembers back how in 80s was beatiful world and also how difficult was life, special in Poland where I live. In 90s I dreamt that one day I go to the NY and I will see those Twin Towers, but in 2001 …. are gone …with all those people how worked there. Now I can show Twin Towers my children only on pictures like this and teach them to be good to other people to built our world better.

January 20, 2014 at 5:34 pm

5. Mauricio Salomao da Siva

I think this photo was taken near the Conrail Freight Yard, Village, NJ.
    Im from Brazil but i love to found were the pics are taken…

from:40.722901, -74.054139 (Conrail Freight Yard and Manhattan Sky Line at Jersey City, NJ)

November 14, 2016 at 1:15 am